Sunday, 13 August 2017

My bathroom


This week, I had intended to give the flat a really good clean and tidy but I got a little bit distracted by my battered bathroom walls and ended up repainting the room as well. Predictably, it ended up taking me a lot longer than I thought it would to complete. I think I say this a lot, but I often feel quite surprised by the amount of time it takes me to physically do things. Even simple tasks seem to take me forever to do. I don’t know if this is because I am an unusually slow worker or because I seriously underestimate the amount of time I need to allow for each thing, but it is really frustrating. In spite of this, I have to admit that I am a fairly thorough person and truly believe that if a job is worth doing, it is worth doing properly. So time is not always a factor for me.

The walls were already cream, so I simply repainted them the same colour. 


I would have preferred to have painted the walls a stronger colour but my landlord is not really open to this. It isn't really a problem for me as I think it's fairly easy to add colour into a room with accessories anyway. It also keeps things from looking too cluttered, especially as my flat is very small.


I kept my ceiling white, but changed the gloss finish on the door and frame to satinwood as I think this is a bit softer and more modern. 


It seemed very bare without all the clutter which usually lives in here, but it was good to get everything out for a thorough clean. After I'd finished the painting, I decided that I needed some better storage for my towels, so I popped into Argos for this towel rail which also has a shelf.


It seemed a bit flimsy when I took it out of the box, but it screwed together quickly and it is super sturdy once it is fixed to the wall.


I've been storing my spare towels on a shelf in the bedroom so think that this will be a lot better, as all my towels will be handy for when I need them.


I think that it looks quite smart despite being inexpensive. I like that the shiny chrome matches with my taps and shower screen, too.



This wall mounted rail is a lot better than the floor standing rail I had been using and it holds a surprising amount. I feel like my towels will dry a bit better on it. 


I've nearly put everything back in the room but I've tried to avoid too much clutter. I've always loved my bathroom and it was a huge factor in my choosing to rent this flat 6 years ago, so I am really happy that it continues to be a very peaceful space. 

I still have a few jobs to do like putting my robe hanger on to the back of the door and picking up a new toilet roll holder etc. but it is pretty much finished. Apart from getting some nice new towels of course. I haven't quite decided on the colour I'd like for those yet but I am veering towards apple green or orange, which will give a nice splash of colour. 

I have to admit that I am very tired now and think that I need a holiday to recuperate! I also feel overwhelmed by the thought of cleaning the rest of the flat, which has become even more untidy and dirtier than it was this time last week. It looks like I have another busy week ahead! X

3 comments:

  1. Your bathroom is looking very lovely and your new towel rail does look very nice and goes well with your other shiny chrome things! Orange would be a lovely colour for your new towels! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Em! It feels good to have got it done and I'm really happy with it again. I knew you'd like the idea of orange :-) xx

      Delete
    2. Thanks Em! It feels good to have got it done and I'm really happy with it again. I knew you'd like the idea of orange :-) xx

      Delete

Please feel free to comment on my blog. I love hearing from you all x