Friday, 20 July 2012

Cushions and Crochet

I love cushions. I love cuddling them when I'm sad, and hiding behind them when I'm watching a scary film. I love how snuggly they are and how they are very nearly as good as a teddy bear for helping you to feel better. Cushions are often so much better than a hug 'cos they're always there, don't tell you to 'just cheer up', and let you snuffle into them for hours on end without complaining. Cushions also make fantastic weapons. They can be launched from long distances to cause maximum disruption, used at close range to inflict serious personal injury and can even be used to suffocate enemies in their sleep. In fact, cushions are so versatile that I'm actually quite surprised that I don't have more of them. Especially as they are so easy to make. I've made a few cushions as gifts just recently though...



I made this applique cushion for EC for her birthday in May.


It has four small ribbon ties as a closure on the back. Prettyful!

I also made EC this cushion out of a Fat Cat fabric which I picked up a few years ago up at my favourite event of the year The Knitting and Stitching Show in Harrogate. I'll no doubt have lots to tell you about that later in the year.


I'd been meaning to make a cushion out of this fabric for ages.


I made little tie closures out of the leftover scraps of fabric.
It was a bit fiddly to do but they look ok.

I pretty much had the sewing bug after making these two, so I thought I'd make myself a couple for the sofa. Obviously, mine had to be made out of red-and-white gingham because I just adore red-and-white gingham.


NB: My relationship with gingham, especially red-and-white gingham has been a lifelong passion and I'm afraid to say that I don't think it'll be ending any time soon, even though it clashes horribly with my current (fuscia) curtains. I can live with it, in fact I love the fact that they don't match. Who wants homogenous?


I just love how the striped patchwork cushion turned out.


They look quite happy together, don't they?


I made big tie closures for them out of gingham- they're madly fussy, everso slightly 80's and I Love, love, love.

I hadn't used the sewing machine for absolutely ages, so it was good to get some practice in, especially as I had some slightly more ambitious ones in mind for JA's birthday in June. I'm especially pleased with how this one turned out.


It took ages to find the right fabric for the applique, and I fiddled around with it for ages before I was happy with it, but I think that it's really lovely.


I even made button holes and added buttons on this one. I liked it so much that I just had to make another one to go with it.



The applique butterflies were very fiddly to sew, but I'm pleased with the result.


Again, I made button holes and added buttons, which I think makes them look quite professional.

By now I was pretty much on a roll and had an excellent plan for a 21st Birthday cushion for YC. I'd seen some a bit like this online and there was no way that I could afford one, so I decided that I could try and make one myself. It wasn't easy making the letter look right, but just look how cool this is.

A 21st Birthday Scrabble Cushion!
 

I made buttonholes and used buttons as a closure for this one, too. It gives a nice clean finish and looks suprisingly masculine on this particular cushion.


I decided that YC also needed a chunky and masculine blanket to snuggle up in when he's snoozing on the sofa, so I made him this lovely crochet blanket.


It's made from Patons 'Big Fab' Super Chunky 100% Acrylic yarn in cream. I chose acrylic yarn as it washes well and dries quickly - this has to be a good choice with three cats in the house!

I used a 10mm hook and worked a continuous basic Granny Square for 30 rows, then worked two rows of Double Crochet as an edging before adding a large tassel to each corner. It worked up really quickly but it wasn't the easiest yarn to crochet with and my poor hands ached for days afterwards.


It's a very substantial blanket, though and It also goes perfectly with the Scrabble cushion.

I now have so many ideas for cushions that I aren't quite sure which one to start with! In any case I really will have to try and finish some of my 'unfinished' projects before moving on to anything else. Even so, I'm so addicted to cushions at the moment that I'm sure I'll be posting about new cushions very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on my blog. I love hearing from you all x