Wednesday, 25 July 2012

Allotmenteering and Harvest Time

I went to see PDMC at his allotment today and wow, was it hot! I've got a very, very red face and a slighty pink arm- so much for SPF 30. It was good to get out in the sunshine though, as I've spent a lot of time indoors of late. The allotment is rather overgrown again, partly because PDMC has been working a lot lately and partly because it nearly always buckets it down on his day off. I think you have to be very, very dedicated (and slightly bonkers) to venture out to the allotment when it's torrential rain and your shed leaks!


I haven't actually been down to his allotment for a while (possibly as long as a month) and I was surprised to see how much everything had grown.

The last time I was here, we'd managed to cover the peas with netting



as they were just beginning to produce their pods.


The beans were barely flowering



but the onions, garlic and shallotts were really establishing themselves.

 
If you look closely, you might just be able to make out the little woven edgings around the beds in the left of the photo- I made these! When the artichoke was cut down last year, we were left with a huge pile of woody stems which I thought would make great edgings. It took quite a while to finish them but I think they're fab. They're certainly unique and a great way to recycle something which would otherwise have had to be burned or composted.


Anyway, imagine my surprise and excitement when I cycled up to the allotment earlier today and saw that the beans and peas were dripping with pods


and that the early potatoes, onions, garlic and shallots were all ready to be harvested. 



PDMC was justifiably proud of himself.



I had a lot of fun arranging the produce in the wheelbarrow and I kept wittering on about it being like Harvest Festival, which made PDMC laugh a lot. My kids are total heathens, but as PDMC pointed out, that might actually be my fault!




I kept smelling the potatoes because they smelled divine, not like shop bought ones at all. I've also sat and eaten a rather large amount of pod peas  (everso slightly more than the measley handful which I know is a portion) whilst I've been writing this. They smell and taste so delicious that I can't resist them!


Anyhoo, I'm off to search the tinterweb for recipes I can use broad beans in, as I  have a rather large mound of them on my kitchen worktop...
Any recipes would be gratefully received!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on my blog. I love hearing from you all x